This is a great video on how to mix yarn or how to combine different types of yarn and textures.
On this video tutorial we combine three types of yarn: one base color, one thinner darker color and one textured yarn.
A couple of tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t overpower your yarn mix with too many textures
- Try to use yarns from the same color spectrum or that go well together: cherry, beige (or cream colors) and chocolate brown for example
- 2-3 types of yarn are enough
- Use thin yarns and approximate a gauge. Grab a thicker yarn for comparison.
- Create a swatch to see how your yarn is going to look once mixed
You can also mix different LAYERS of different yarns and use different gauges. Here’s a really cool article from Ashley Little on Craftsy:
We use two types of yarns on another video tutorial, the REVERSIBLE COWL SCARF:
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE YARN COMBOS?
Share images and questions with us through our social networks: